Curious About: Yoga Trends
How can you make yoga more interesting?
The 17th century yoga gurus in India must be rolling over in their savasana poses right now. They would never have imagined the way pop culture and social media would take over their practice of controlling the body and the mind.
From increased flexibility to arthritis fighter, we all know the benefits of yoga are well-documented. But for those who get a bit bored with holding poses and gently breathing in and out, now's the time to give yoga another try or just do it for the 'gram . We've come along way from heated yoga studios being the "it" yoga practice.
From the interesting to the ridiculous to the extreme, HOW can you spice up your traditional yoga flow of downward-facing dog, half moon and warrior poses? Here's a few ideas:
- Baaalance a goat on your back and try not to get totally distracted. Who needs puppies and kittens anyway?
- Curse your heart out and cry a little. With rage yoga you can get "zen as fuck."
- Be one with yourself. Accept your body and try naked yoga. Or yoga in your undies. At least that means less sweaty laundry.
- Sip, sip and stretch. Not just a party trick, but in beer yoga, you must balance a beer bottle on your head.
- If you like the soothing voice of Andy Puddicombe on the Headspace app, silent disco style yoga with noise canceling headphones may be more your cup of green tea.
- Skip the yoga mat. Show off your balance skills like a boss with standup paddleboard yoga.
- Puff, puff and pass. Enhance your ability to be reflective during yoga with ganja yoga.
- Explore your inner emotions and bring your spirit emoji with you to an emoga or emoji yoga class.
What are you curious about? Leave a comment & let me know.
[Image Source: Dave Rosenblum]